Sunday, November 29, 2009

TAKE OUT THE TRASH!
This is a story

After a relaxing five days of Thanksgiving break, today I had to returned to university. I was so anxious to get to my dorm, put away my laundry, and then work on my final essay for class. To my dismay, after setting down my 10lbs bag of laundry (no joke! I think that's actually how much it probably weighted..I'd been saving for weeks), and turing on the light, I witnessed my entire room swarming with fruit flies! I immediately tied up the trash bags, which were engulfed with insects, opened the window, so the survivors could escape, and took the trash outside. When looking at the (clear) bag I could see hundred of flies crawing about inside of the trash bag, and their eggs cluthing to the lining. EWWW!!! When I came back, the room was still buzzing with fruit flies. Lukily I am obsessed with vinaigrette, and cracked open my bottle to make homemade fly traps. I combined vinegar with oil in several containers and placed them around the room, in hopes of capturing these pests. So far it has been about two hours since I set the traps. They seem to have dispursed, but every now and then when I bump something, a few dozen fly into the air. Lesson to be learned from this story? Don't leave trash with fruit remains unattended for several days, or you could be greeted by some unexpected guests when you return. Take out the trash and remember to compost!

No comments:

Post a Comment